Oh winter. The time of year when I just want to hibernate at home while escaping the cold weather threatening me on the other side of my window.
Like most people, I fill up on carbs during winter. There is something comforting about eating a bowl of pasta in your pajamas while the snow accumulates outside. (Bonus points – I live in a condo and never have to go outside to shovel snow!)
This recipe is also perfect for those cold nights after work when you have nothing prepared. It only takes a total of 30 minutes to make and will definitely keep you warm. Best of all, you probably already have all of these ingredients in your fridge already. You’ll be on your couch eating this under a nice warm blanket in no time!
Paired with a great full bodied red wine, this recipe is also great for date nights. Your s/o will never know you were in the kitchen for only 30 minutes. (I made this for the Mister and added some fresh spinach just before serving and he was a happy man.)
30 Minute Sausage Pasta
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 cups of uncooked pasta of your choice
- 1 ½ cups of tomato sauce
- 2 uncooked sausages (any variety will do, but I do recommend sweet italian sausages)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 onion (finely chopped)
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium pot, add pasta to boiling water.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and brown onions and garlic for 1 minute.
- Remove the meat from the sausage casing and add it to the skillet. Cook until golden brown. Add chili flakes and italian seasoning.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until softened.
- Add the tomato sauce and cooked, drained pasta.
- Top with some freshly ground pepper and parmesan cheese before serving.