You can feel the crispness in the air that is fall.
When the weather starts to change, I immediately want food that is warm and comforting. And now that I don't have to worry as much about summer's typical revealing clothes, I automatically eat more desserts!
One of my favourite drinks for fall is, hands down, a chai tea latte. To this day, I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would want a vegetable flavoured latte! I can't stand anything tasting like pumpkin - especially that artificial pumpkin flavouring. yuck!
Back in high school, a friend of mine first introduced me to her homemade chai tea, and I fell in love. I love all the warm spicy goodness that goes in to it - cardamom, nutmeg, cloves and my personal favourite, cinnamon, of course. It was only a matter of time before I combined this amazing concoction together to create the perfect dessert.
These cupcakes were approved by my niece and nephew so it has to be good - they are very honest with me on everything I make.
Makes: 18 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup instant chai latte powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the chai powder, ginger, cinnamon, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined. Beat until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 2 cups icing (powdered) sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water, as needed
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the ingredients until fluffy.
- Spread on cooled cupcakes using a spatula or icing tip.