As summer has officially begun, it marks the start of grilling season.
I am always looking for different recipes to try and this one definitely beats the typical barbecue sauce chicken that most of us gravitate towards, only because it’s easy and doesn’t require much thinking.
Since most of my summer entertaining includes drinks of some sort, I thought why not add that to the meal.
I decided to go with tequila as I seem to have a fascination with margaritas lately.
Tequila, paired with limes, add a great, bright flavor to the chicken which screams summer. I also used some peppers for a little bit of heat, because that’s how the Mister likes it, but you can forgo that if you’re not a fan of pepper.
I decided to use chicken breasts for this recipe only because I could use the left overs for salads and take them to work. (So much easier that trying to eat a drumstick at my desk!)
This recipe can be done either on the bbq or in the oven. Of course the day I decided to make this it rained the entire day. I decided to go ahead and make it in my cast iron grill and finished cooking it in the oven.
Drunken Tequila Lime Chicken
Makes: 4 Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 shots tequila
- juice of 1 lime
- rind (grated) of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- combine all the ingredients and let the chicken marinate overnight
- lightly grease a cast iron grill and turn heat on to medium high
- pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- sear each side for 4-5 minutes
- put the cast iron skillet with the chicken in the oven and let cook for 20-25 minutes