With award season upon us, most of us are either throwing award parties or being invited to award parties. Either way, these puff pastry mushroom tarts are the perfect party appetizer that everyone will love. (Did I mention it’s also the easiest appetizer I’ve made to date!)
I used to be afraid of any kind of pastry and shy away from making it because I always thought it would be hard work. But then I found ready made puff pastry in the frozen section of my local grocery store. I bought a box thinking I would try it out once – if it fails, it fails, but at least I tried.
I didn’t fail!
You can’t fail.
These are just. that. easy.
I made these tarts a few times during the holiday season and they were the first to go! Everyone (including my fussy nephew) just devoured them!
And they look so fancy!
Best of all, they barely take any time at all to prepare and can be made ahead of time. (I’d pop them back in the over to serve warm – the microwave may make it soggy).
If you are looking for a party appetizer to impress your guest (or your host if you are taking them to a party!) these tarts are definitely it!
Easy Mushroom Puff Pastry Tart
Makes: approximately 24 tarts
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 8oz package cremini mushrooms
- 1 8oz package shitake mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ¼ tsp thyme
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 onion
- Red wine or balsamic vinegar to taste
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Instruction 1 Thaw puff pastry as per box instructions. /li>
- Instruction In a medium saucepan, brown the onion and garlic in the butter on medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and sauté with red wine or balsamic vinegar. Once softened, add the thyme and black pepper. Remove from heat.
- Instruction 3 Using a pastry brush, brush thawed puff pastry with the beaten egg.
- Instruction 4 Using a pastry brush, brush thawed puff pastry with the beaten egg
- Instruction 5 Cut puff pastry into squares (or rectangles. Basically, whatever shapes you want). I cut mine into 24 bite sized squares.
- Instruction 6 Place about 1 tablespoon worth of the mushroom mixture on each puff pastry square.
- Instruction 7 Place on baking pan 1 inch apart on a greased baking pan.
- Instruction 8 Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Instruction 9 Before serving, grate parmesan cheese on the top of each square.
Serve and accept all complements gracefully. (trust me, you’ll get a lot of complements on this! Best of all, you didn’t even beak a sweat.