I apparently indulged a little too much over this summer. All those delicious fresh desserts and ice creams and little time for the gym has definitely left its mark on my waistline. So, as summer is on its way out, I am taking this time to try and make more conscious decisions on what I am eating. I have now made a promise to myself to try to cut out unneeded carbs and stick to protein and fresh fruits and vegetables.
I’ve made this recipe a few times – always with great results.
You will notice that this recipe does not call for salt. That’s because the feta cheese is so salty that adding more salt will just be overboard. …unless you like salt. Then dash away!
This recipe is also good for those days when you come home late from work. It takes just under 45 minutes to make and is very satisfying. I eat two of these “boats” for dinner (which is a while zucchini) and I am stuffed. But you could also serve this with a side of rice if you prefer.
You could also switch up the meat and use just about anything. Ground turkey or lamb would also be amazing. ...I may do that next time.
Keto-friendly stuffed zucchini is the perfect healthy dinner for those late work nights
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 ½ lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons greek seasoning
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- black pepper to taste
- feta cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Slice each zucchini in half long ways. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and flesh leaving ¼ inch thickness of the zucchini shell. Set zucchini flesh aside.
- in a skillet, on medium, sautee onions and garlic.
- Add the ground beef, pepper flakes, greek seasoning and black pepper. Cook until well done.
- Add the Zucchini flesh to the ground beef and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce to the cooked meat. Stir and remove from heat.
- Fill the hallowed out zucchinis with the cooked meat mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the baking pan (as the zucchini will be tender). Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.