The temperatures have once again risen here in Toronto, and there is nothing better to cool you down than a cool refreshing granita.
Granitas are simply an Italian ice dessert and can be made using any flavour. I chose lime, because I love the taste of citrus on a hot summer day.
This dessert is perfect for those summer parties. Its cool, refreshing and takes little effort (just a little bit of planning beforehand!) This is so much easier than ice cream, and much more impressive!
This dessert reminds me of the crushed ice treats I used to get as a child at my grandparents’ – but much, much more elevated.
To be honest, I was looking to make ice cream, but I don’t have an ice cream maker, and even though you don’t technically need one, I decided against the ice cream because, well, calories and summer bodies. So…granita it is!!!
This recipe has significantly less sugar and absolutely no cream involved, yet, possibly even more refreshing! Best of all, you can easily add a shot of vodka, white rum, tequila or gin (pick your poison) for n even more special events!
Refreshing Lime Granita
Lime Granitas are perfect for hot summer days
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- juice and zest from 2 limes
- 1 large egg white
- Combine water and sugar and warm on the stove until the sugar is dissolved (to create a simple syrup). Set aside and let cool.
- Add the juice and zest from all 3 limes to the simple syrup. Set aside.
- Wisk the egg white until stiff peaks have formed increasing the speed slowly (approximately 5 minutes).
- add the simple syrup lime juice mixture to the beated egg white and continue wisking for 2-3 minutes. (Note: the ingredients will not completely blend well – don’t be alarmed.)
- Pour into a freezer friendly container or loaf pan, cover and freeze for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove from the freezer and crush the frozen mixture using a fork. Repeat again prior to serving.