I love me a good creamy pasta – there’s something so comforting about it. But everything I go out and see it on the menu, I think to myself how much heavy cream and butter goes into that sauce??
I’ve looked up a number of recipes for this and the first thing I do is see what type of milk they are using. Without fail, it’s usually either heavy cream or, at best, half and half. And while that sounds great, that cream will just go bad in my fridge as I typically only use skim milk.
So I came up with a recipe of my own that uses skim milk for the sauce and tastes just as good as the ones using heavy cream. This way, I can eat all the creamy pasta I want without all the guilt! (Okay, maybe not, but you know what I mean!)
This is the perfect date night dinner dish that looks impressive, but only takes about 15 minutes to make. I typically make this sauce while my pasta is still cooking.
This is one of the few vegetarian meals I have. While I love meat and can easily add come grilled chicken or shrimp to this dish, I find that the mushrooms provide meatiness to the dish.
Skinny Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 1 ½ cups pasta of your choice
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2/3 cups milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp butter (for mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon flour
- Over medium heat, Sauté mushrooms, butter and garlic until softened.
- Add milk and flour and whisk until smooth. (No one wants a bite of uncooked flour!) Add 3 tbsp of butter and parmesan cheese and continue whisking for 5 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Add cooked pasta to the saucepan and toss in the cream sauce.
- Serve topped with ground black pepper and more parmesan cheese if desired.